Some breathing tips to help you relax into a good night’s sleep
Breathing techniques to practice before you go to sleep that will help you calm and settle your mind.
Here are simple techniques to try tonight:
- Lying on your back, place one hand flat on your tummy and the other on your chest
- As you breathe in, pay attention to the movement of air into your chest then as it fills your lungs
- Notice it reaching the base of your stomach
- Take nice, gentle and slow deep breaths
- Feel the rhythm of your stomach moving up and down as you inhale and exhale
4-7-8 Breathing Technique
- Breathe in through your nose for a count of four
- Hold your breath for seven
- Then slowly breathe out through your mouth for a count of eight
- Repeat four or five times still noticing your breath and the feeling movement of your hands gently rising and lowering on your chest and stomach.